Happy Wednesday! Today, I’ll be sharing one of my hair routines. One of my favourite beauty products is Organic Virgin Coconut Oil! I use it EVERY SINGLE DAY! As a moisturizer, to cook (different bottles obviously), coconut oil is my must have item!
But before I share my coconut oil mask routine, here are some facts you may want to know about coconut oil and treating your hair properly!
What is Coconut Oil?
Coconut Oil is an edible oil that is extracted from the “meat” of a coconut. It has many health benefits and in recent years, has grown in popularity. While there are many health benefits from adding coconut oil to your diet, coconut oil is not just for consumption.
Benefits of Coconut Oil
While Coconut Oil has a lot of health benefits, today we’re sharing why it’s a perfect replacement from your current hair shampoo and conditioner.
- Since it penetrates better than mineral oils, it “makes hair shinier,” according to this Scientific Study.
- According to another Scientific Study, it may help individuals with thinning hair or hair loss as Coconut Oil helps straighten hair.
- Some individuals like myself, notice hair is healthier, smoother. After my first coconut oil hair mask, I definitely noticed my hair was smoother, shinier and healthier! Much to my Mom’s dismay, I have really long hair (I’m talking give it a few more inches and it’s almost near my bottom area)
- Those with fine to medium shiny hair will benefit the most. Coconut Oil is not for everyone – hair or consumption use. Coconut Oil may not be best if you have dry or brittle hair. Other oils will work better for you.
- Helps reduce frizz
- Simple, natural, no added chemicals
- Rich in vitamins and fatty acids
- If you feel like it, adding honey to your melted coconut oil is another option. Coconut Oil is great for individuals with dandruff. It can help nourish the scalp and remove sebum build-up, dead skin, and dirt. Coconut Oil also helps keeps the follicles and hair clean and healthy, therefore treating and preventing dandruff effectively.
My Coconut Oil Hair Mask Routine
If you read my New Year’s Resolution post, one of my resolution for 2018 was to care for my hair better. After washing my hair every single day of my life, it did result in dry and brittle hair. My hair is like my security blanket. I refuse to get short hair, my hair is something that is part of who I am. While I wouldn’t claim to be a germaphobe, some, meaning my family, friends and those in my life that are reading this right now are probably laughing at my last sentence, but ya girl just likes being clean you know? I am someone that will not go to bed without taking a shower. I have to shower and be clean in order for me to go to bed in my bed, that goes for my hair. Having nice, healthy, clean hair to me is very important, so I’ve added this routine into my life at least 1-2 times a week.
- When applying a coconut oil mask on your hair, I recommend wearing an old shirt just so that the oil doesn’t ruin your shirt!
- Get your supplies! You’ll need organic virgin coconut oil, a bowl (optional), teaspoon (optional), a hair tie. Optional is a plastic bag or a hair/shower cap (more on this later).
- When I apply coconut oil, I simply just scoop the coconut oil into my hands, rub my hands together to make it an oily consistency and I evenly coat my hair with the coconut oil. If you prefer, you can scoop the oil with a teaspoon and put in a bowl and “melt” the oil and then apply it to your hair. Either way works. Since my hair is pretty long (like it’s almost belly button length), I use about 3-5 scoops of coconut oil.
- I then use my fingers to comb my hair and evenly apply the oil, paying more attention to my ends. I also massage my scalp afterwards.
- I do suggest leaving the oil on for a few hours! If I’m working from home, I will apply the oil in the morning and wash my hair later that night. You can also do this overnight before you go to bed! That’s where the shower cap comes in handy so you don’t ruin your pillow case!
- Wash your hair out! It will take at least 1 or 2 rounds shampooing in the shower to get that oily feeling out. Sometimes, I do apply conditioner afterwards.
- Let your hair dry! I personally do not recommend blow drying your hair (it’s very bad for your hair!). I towel dry or air dry my hair 99.9% of the time.
Just like with everything in life, results will vary. For myself, my hair looked healthier, shinier and softer after the first couple masks I applied. Coconut Oil is a great, natural hair product that may help your hair feel healthier, shinier and stronger.
Happy Coconut Oil Masking!